2019-2020 FBA Committee Applicant Responses

If there's been anything new behind the scenes in the FBA, you'll find it here.
FadedForest
Forum Rookie

2019-2020 FBA Committee Applicant Responses

Postby FadedForest » August 17th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Hello everyone! It's that time of year for Committee Elections for the upcoming season. The five individuals who submitted Committee Applications are:

XenosBlade
Eaite
Kingsley
MadWorld
Qovapryi

Below are their answers to three questions that will hopefully help you make a decision. The 3 Candidates that get the most votes will be selected for the 2019-2020 Committee. If you have any additional questions you may reach us on our Discord Channel!

Fill out your Ballot here: https://forms.gle/fzUWo7pRcYwkHcMP8

FadedForest
Forum Rookie

Re: 2019-2020 FBA Committee Applicant Responses

Postby FadedForest » August 17th, 2019, 1:02 pm

What are your goals as a Committee Member?

XenosBlade: To continue to try and inspire creativity and collaboration amongst the members of the project. I want to continue to try to encourage others to be supportive of the work their peers made no matter the history. Also continuing to assist in creating the simulations for the Sports Den broadcast as well as pitch the idea of a commentator pool, where we have a number of participants dedicated to fill in to commentate for games either PBP or Color, to have more interesting combinations of personalities.

Eaite: I endeavor to help shape the committee into one of the most productive, cohesive, and friendly committees the association has had through outreach with members and organizational planning.

Kingsley: To try and encourage story creation and collaboration within the community. Over the past few years, there has been an overall drop in story creation, something I myself am guilty of. However, as a committee member, this year I plan to try and encourage greater story creation and collaboration by spitballing ideas with team general managers to see if we can't create some season-long storylines for players, or even for teams.

MadWorld: My primary goal is to support veteran members of the league by challenging them with new activities or story opportunities, and to help new members of the league feel welcome by encouraging them to explore creative outlets. This community shines when everyone dares to dream, builds bridges, celebrates diversity, and comes together to have some furry fun – whether it’s about basketball or not!

My secondary goal would be to assume some of the editorial responsibility of the Wiki website by improving its navigation for newcomers and improving its value for veterans. Helping the FBA catalog its happenings is crucial: I've already created a hierarchy of tasks that need to take place to get player pages back up to date, as well as an FBA Player database. The Wiki’s age is beginning to show (the 2014 FBA Draft video is *still* on the front page!) so getting it back up to date is important to me. The truth is that we have a wealth of history and pseudo-canonical information from old posts that can be documented, which will allow for additional creative opportunities for everyone.

Tertiary goals and beyond, I want to ensure the commissioners and team staff have the tools necessary to succeed. This means helping coaches (PCs) better understand the game system by creating collateral (updating resources), and to lighten the general load of the commissioners (take on maintenance tasks). I can never promise someone success, but I can say that I gave the support, attention, and tools necessary to send someone in the right direction.

Qovapryi: My main goal as a Committee Member is to bring the project's focus back to the production of content over results and accolades. I do intend to do this by helping organizing events (giving help to those planning to run the next Combine if they so need, and organizing the 2nd iteration of the FBAverse Olympic tournament in summer 2020), as well as helping with keeping the Wiki up-to-date and bringing there most of the content that is currently spread over various location (FA, SF, forums, etc.)

FadedForest
Forum Rookie

Postby FadedForest » August 17th, 2019, 1:04 pm

What qualities or experience do you possess which make you a good fit for this role?

XenosBlade: I will be entering my 5th year as a part of the FBA project and has been a part of the committee for the 2018-2019 season. I've also been the GM for the Santa Ana Spectrums for 3 years. I respond quickly when I am needed, and have the ability to listen and discuss on issues that could be ongoing. As stated before, I have helped with the simulation process for certain games and will continue to do so this year. I am currently entering my final year of college, where I will be earning some experience as a Director. I have acted as well so I am someone who isn't afraid to communicate.

Eaite: The committee benefits when it has a force for positivity, creative thinking, and organization. With 5 years experience in volunteering as a sub-department lead for A/V at numerous conventions, I bring information management skills and respect in all my interactions.

Kingsley: I have spent two prior years performing roles on the committee, so I understand well the time requirements, as well as the stresses that the role requires. After this past year, I also understand the time and stress pressures of my college program. Having experience both, and with my focus on trying to create strong narratives that I apply to both the FBA and my school work, I believe I would be able to effectively work to encourage story creation this year from my role on the committee.

MadWorld: I have experience as a commissioner and committee member. I was a fill-in committee member for the FBA in 2015, and I was a (co)-commissioner of the UFFL from 2014 to 2017. I took a much-needed break to get my job hunt ducks in a row, and now that things are settled, my head's back in the game.

Despite my nickname... I'm rarely *ever* mad. That's not to say I'm a bit of an unbearable goofball at times. Aren't we all? But as far as I know, I get along well with every member of this community.

Outside of the league, I am a technical writer and editor for a major software company. I *turn on* the professionalism switch when need be; I have good writing, communication, and delivery skills (at least in text). I’m but a wee humble owl in the FBA, though ... haha!

Back in 2015-2016, I ran a newsletter called FSPN: The Hoop, which introduced ideas on how to keep the community informed of everything we do: art, stories, trivia, featured players, interviews, and more. It was a lot of fun. I can't bring this newsletter back, but it proves that I have experience in community engagement. However, I'd like to use ideas from that newsletter to get the community engaged again, like dedicated content channels on Discord, mock interviews, sports-related post-game content to get people thinking --basketball-- alongside their story arcs, and just-for-fun FBA trivia contests.

Qovapryi: I believe I am a great mediator of conflict and that I'm good at helping people get along. In the past year I have also covered a similar position in another online environment, and I believe that the experience I made there will be useful in managing the drama and conflict that might arise.

FadedForest
Forum Rookie

Postby FadedForest » August 17th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Is there anything else you would like to say to the community regarding your consideration for Committee?

XenosBlade: I will say that my first year running committee didn't come without challenges, but I was able to learn more about myself as person as well as how important it is to feel like a unit. I want to be there for the next committee to help make things be smoother for the possible new committee members and welcome their ideas to make the project better than what it was previously.

Eaite: With classwork and outside employment I expect occasionally I will need extra time to accomplish committee business. However, I will minimize disruptions and try to plan for them as far in advance as possible.

Kingsley: Do what you guys feel is best for the community. I have always been open and honest with everybody here, and I like to believe I am friendly and approachable for everybody to come to if they have an idea, a problem, or just a need to talk to somebody.

Those of us on the committee are here to serve you all, to make this the best community that it can be, so vote for the people you believe will best be able to make that happen.

MadWorld: Hi there! I go by Mad (or Greg) and I've been involved in the FBA off and on since 2013. Allow me to explain my personal perspective as a contributor, community member, and candidate for committee.

First: I'm truly in it *for you and your characters* more than mine. I always have. But it's more than just that: there will not be unfair bias or challenges that arise in part because of my position as a committee member.

Two: it's important to know and recognize the origins of the FBA, how we got to where we are now, and to use this knowledge to approach decisions maturely and with a leveled head (no rotations necessary!) It’s important to respect personal boundaries and to have an open mind. Only through recognition and acceptance of history (good or bad) can you successfully lead in the present and future. It’s not a one-way street.

Three: Innovate. Coordinate. Keep the league *going* and *growing*. And I don’t just mean in size or activity, but by its depth, accessibility, and freedom of creativity. These are the qualities the FBA was built on.

Finally, it’s important to acknowledge weaknesses - if you don't have weaknesses, you're not *real*. Two years ago I had to take an online break and get to know myself better. I’m not great about reaching out to people for assistance, admittedly. And I’ve never applied for a committee position formally until now because I’ve never felt like I could balance personal life with volunteerism.

But one thing's certain to me now: the best place for me is to enable others to explore their creative potentials. This perspective has not changed since 2014. That's why I have officially applied for the 2019-20 season, and I humbly ask for your vote. Thank you!

Qovapryi: One year ago, I stepped down from my Committee position and didn't seek re-election because I both felt that the League needed new leadership and that I'd kinda run my course as its member, no matter the fact I was sort of swamped with RL obligations. I still do think I haven't fulfilled my entire potential during my time on the Committee, and I am purposefully tossing my name into the hat in order to achieve that.

I am not in this to get accolades, consideration or even recognition. I do believe, however, that this little thing we got is too special to let it drift and falter, and I wanna help it prosper and exceed expectations for a long time. I won't hold it against anyone if they want to put their trust into someone else, but will deeply appreciate just to be considered for a place on the 2019-20 Committee.

Return to “League News/Updates”